There were several groups of volunteers making and selling cards in the Holme Valley, when in April 2015 a new group was set up at Linthwaite Methodist Church – the Colne Valley. This ecumenical group is open to anybody and has over 20 members attending at various times. Made up of friends from Linthwaite Methodist, and from other Churches in the valley; Slaithwaite: St James’s and the Methodist Church, Golcar: Providence Methodist and St Johns, and people who do not attend any Church. Not only do we make cards we also provide time for people to meet and chat, with coffee and biscuits provided each week. Twice a year we all go out for a meal together. The cards made by this group are sold in 12 outlets from a Blackbelt Academy, Churches to Hairdressers and we have recently reached £3,000 in sales.
Would you like to get involved?
- An easy way is to collect old greetings cards and pass them on! We need cards for all ages, and all subject matters – from birth congratulations to sympathy. Could you organise a collection box in your place of work or Church.
- Take your cards directly to the Welcome Centre on Lord Street.
- Would you like to make cards, no artistic skills are necessary! Perhaps you would like to join a group or set a group up.
- Would like to sell cards.
- Talk to someone about the project.
Cards are not just for Christmas.
For more information see http://communitycards.org.uk